What should you do if your life insurance claim has been denied?
The attorneys at Life Insurance Law work to recover full compensation for life insurance beneficiaries in Iowa. If your life insurance claim has been denied or a delayed life insurance claim, contact us today for a free case evaluation.
Our life insurance lawyers live and work in Iowa. You can expect the following from your Iowa life insurance lawyer:
- A free case evaluation where we go over the facts of your claim in detail.
- Explanation of all legal terms and documents.
- An attorney who will contact your provider to get a delayed claim paid fast.
- Full disclosure on court costs and attorney fees before you agree to retain counsel.
Many claims will be denied by providers based on material misrepresentation. This means that the policyholder provided false information, such as age or health history, that makes the policy invalid. In these cases, an Iowa life insurance lawyer can help you appeal the decision and may still be able to recover the full amount of your claim.
How do state insurance laws in Iowa protect you?
The U.S. Constitution gives the federal government the power to regulate interstate commerce. In the case of life insurance policies, the federal government has largely allowed the states to take the duties of regulating the insurance industries and of providing consumer protection.
The state of Iowa has life insurance laws to help protect consumers. Here is a summary of some of these Iowa life insurance laws. Of course, you should definitely contact us to discuss your case specifically and see how state laws impact your particular situation.
Title 13 of the Iowa Code (Chapters 505 to 523) is the primary regulating force for the insurance industry within the state of Iowa, but other legal provisions have also been adopted as consumer protection laws. The Iowa Insurance Division provides oversight for the insurance business in the state.
The most important rules that may apply in your case are:
- The “free look” period. Any Iowa resident buying a life insurance policy has 10 days to back out of coverage and receive a full refund of any premiums he has paid. No penalty can be charged for backing out of the contract during the free look period.
- Control of personal information. State laws require that you are entitled to know some details when insurance companies access your personal information. Your insurance company must respond promptly to your request to be told when it uses information from your credit report or doctor’s examination.
- Timely payment on claims. When a life insurance claim is filed, a Iowa insurance provider is required to pay the amount to the beneficiary promptly. Failing to settle claims in a prompt, fair, and equitable manner can result in serious penalties against the insurer. Payments are typically made within a month after the provider receives proof of death. If the claim takes longer than 30 days to settle, the insurance company is required to pay accrued interest on the proceeds. Each company is responsible for implementing its own system of paying claims, which should be specified in the terms of your policy.
- Your benefits are guaranteed even if the insurer goes out of business. Life insurance policies that are current are backed by the Iowa Life and Health Insurance Guaranty Association. You must be up-to-date on paying your premiums, and the insurer must be properly licensed to operate in Iowa. In the event that your life insurance company becomes insolvent, we can work with the Guaranty Association to compensate your policy. This guarantee is limited to $300,000 maximum for lost death benefits and $100,000 maximum for lost cash value, even if the deceased person was insured for a larger amount or covered under multiple policies.
Why you should work with us
The attorneys at Life Insurance Law work with clients across the country to recover denied and delayed life insurance claims. Whether we agree on a settlement or take your case to court, our attorneys will fight for your best interests every step of the way.
If your insurance claim has been denied or delayed, call our offices today to get advice from an Iowa life insurance attorney.