You were probably shocked when you got a letter in the mail saying that your loved one’s life insurance claim is denied. You’re not the only one. An estimated 10 percent of rightful insurance claims will be denied every year. Those denials make millions for insurance companies and leave people who trusted them without a leg to stand on.
For a lot of people, the story ends there. They accept the rejection and move on as best they can. But others stay in the fight, winning a settlement much larger than the insurance payout they were denied.
Taking Action if Your Life Insurance Claim is Denied
If your life insurance claim was denied, take the following actions immediately to start building your case:
- Call your insurance agent. Go through your records to find the name of the person who sold you the policy. If you don’t have a person by name, call customer service and get answers. If you don’t understand terminology, the service person should be able to explain it to you.
- Go up the ladder. If the customer service rep is dismissive or unable to give you information, request to speak with his superior. If his superior is unhelpful, talk to someone else, taking names as you go until you find someone who can answer your questions.
- Request a written explanation. Many companies will hesitate to provide written documents, as they can be challenged in court. By demanding a written letter, you are asking for evidence—implying that you are willing to take your case to court if you have to.
- Make an appeal. Statistically, less than 1% of customers whose claims are denied will make an appeal—allowing the insurance company to get away with taking their money and providing nothing in return.
- Get a lawyer. Hiring an experienced life insurance lawyer will make your insurance company realize that you’re not going away.
If your life insurance claim is denied wrongfully, our attorneys can help get you the compensation you deserve. Contact Life Insurance Law today for a consultation.
If you have questions, our firm can provide all the information in your free consultation. Call us toll-free today to seek the full life insurance benefits you deserve.
About Life Insurance Lawyers
Life Insurance Law, LLC is a nationwide network of attorneys who work with clients to recover denied or delayed life insurance claims.
We created this network to people get the benefits they deserve, even after their life insurance claims were denied or delayed.